Thursday, 2 January 2014

Interchangeable Terrain

So, whilst I have yet to finish the four way terrain, for various reasons really, such as trying to get some of the other polystyrene boards suitably hardened so that I can finally put everything inside the terrain storage without having the living room looking a mess, I've also started working on little terrain pieces.

Now, one of my thoughts whilst realising I'd have to limit the amount of terrain I actually wanted in order for everything to fit properly, was that I could make a blank canvas terrain, where I simply pin down a sheet of grass and then be able to freely change the terrain with small terrain add ons. This would allow me to be a lot more versatile in what I did and the games that could be played, instead of having repetitive scenes. With the fact that I'm doing the magazine, I wanted to be able to show as much different terrain bits as possible.

So, I started on this little piece of an ancient site dedicated to a long forgotten god. I started out with a sheet of polystyrene, hardened with layered PVA glue, then using a hot wire cutter, I shaped some cylinder foam to become the pillars. Here you can see the pillars scattered on the board, some drawn out positions also noticeable.

I made sure that miniatures could pass through the gaps without getting stuck, which was a problem I noticed on my Goblin Lair Terrain where it came to the tunnel systems (A mistake due to the fact that I layered the terrain with paper-mache, turning anything that had been the right measurement, into a wrong one as the width decreased.)

With that done, I got down to gluing it all on. As you can see, I then added sand, though I'm not finished yet. I quite like it, and am looking forward to what it will look like once I've sealed and painted it. A simple, yet effective piece of terrain that will allow some hold the object scenarios, coverage and some good skirmish fights.





2 comments:

  1. great idea, simple and effective!
    bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost got them sorted now. Will have pictures up sometime this month

      Delete