Thursday, 19 December 2013

Four way Terrain

 
There are still a few pictures I want to show of the shelving unit, but for now, I thought some variation would be good. If you remember, I showed some pictures of a new battlefield terrain I was beginning, that was sort of like a tomb area, and would have one stronghold from four different races on. Well, I've begun to continue with that again.

Here you see the Goblin stronghold. Simple, just stone walls carved nicely with a hotwire cutter, which I bought from Amazon for £19.99. Brilliant buy, by the way. It really works like a charm.

I didn't want anything extravagant with the Goblin stronghold, as I decided that they wouldn't really be able to make anything greatly crafted, but more crude like, so I thought the stone walls, worn and scarred were a good fit for them. I will be putting in a wooden gate where you can see the gap.

Next, on the right, you'll see the Dwarf Stronghold. The polystyrene I used came with one of the electrical appliances we bought for the house. I simply used the hotwire cutter to adjust the lengths. You'll see two levels in the stronghold, allowing the dwarves to defend the front of their base from enemies trying to scale the walls.

There's also a side door which you may be able to see if you click on the image. It'll be stuck down with a toothpick, allowing it to swivel during gameplay, to show that the gate is open or closed.

In the end, I decided that the stone walls just didn't cut it for the goblins. Cutting at various points, I added in small wooden fence points, to make it look as if the goblins tried to patch up the areas where the stone work was lacking. The gates are crudely designed, and I may put heads or bodies around them just to help add to the Goblin's intrigue of violence.


You will also note that I've used a platform from the Escape from Goblin Town set as a partial flooring in the stronghold, adding to the uniqueness for the Goblins.

Moving on, I have also begun work on the elf area, a square of fenced off area (model train tracks), that act as a barrier, as well as a ramp for those inside to get out. I decided that the elves, trusting in their agility, prefer not to have any easy means to get in from outside, able to effectively hold off any enemies that try to jump, climb the fence.

I'll also be adding some grass, and a tree... yes, a single tree... perhaps two, for this area. It'll be the only real green area in the whole of the terrain.

Currently, I'm hardening the base and sides of the polystyrene board with PVA glue, as each move was damaging the board, and it also was more suitable to get the board sorted before I put any more terrain on... would have been smarter to do this before putting any on however... lesson for the future I believe :)

Well, thanks for dropping by guys and girls. I'll see you at the next post.

4 comments:

  1. absolutely great!
    keep posted, because i really want to see how you'll continue!
    bye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. Its the final look I'm looking forward to =P

      Delete