Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Shelving Unit Modification

 Here's the next thing I was working on whilst waiting for my father to bring up the board of wood I'd left in Birmingham. This is the original shelving unit gifted to us by my partner's mother. Unsure as to whether she ever intended to take it back, I made sure that whilst doing my modification, the shelving unit can be returned to its original state without any problems.

So, let's see what I did aye?

To the right you'll notice (not the clutter of mess, albeit its probably quite noticeable) that not only has the shelving unit got bigger, but its back, shelf and top are different.

The back is made from the bases of the four bed draws I had, whilst the shelves are made from the longest part of the draws that isn't the front part. Naturally there was some cutting involved to get rid of the more fragile section of wood, which is basically a slant, so I cut it so its no longer less dense than the rest.

The top and base of the shelf are made from the front bits of the draws. You remember that I attached a front part to the terrain storage in the previous post? Well, I had to remove the fabric, cotton, and staples, then drill holes in the white sides to allow the dowels in. Then I also added four extra points on bottom and top to screw them on for extra support.

I really like how the white and chestnut wood effect go together.

You may note that there's no shelves past the halfway line. This is because I've divided it. The top will hold my glue etc, whilst the bottom, with the addition of a door, will hold the models. You'll see soon enough.

So, that's all again for now. See you next time.

6 comments:

  1. Looks good to me, will the door be glass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I was making it only from the things that I had available. Glass sadly not being one =P But that sure would have looked more professional aye?

      Delete
  2. in this way you'll have space for both tools and minis!
    good idea!
    bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I really love the idea. It's actually complete now, but you'll still have to wait until the post to see. Doing a lot of schedule posts now that son has arrived.

      Delete
  3. This is going to be excellent! I always admire anyone who can do things like this. I have enough trouble putting a picture hook up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm sure you probably make a very elaborate picture hook then really. Flashing lights to say the pictures about to fall. A well done celebration song when the picture is put on correctly. All in a days work for you =D

      Delete