Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Terrain Storage update

 Back again. Quick update, though not that up to date, as I don't want to overload you with what's been done over this period of time.

In the picture to the left, I've inserted a wooden block, which I inserted on both the top and bottom bed halves, and the opposite sides. Why? Well, I wanted to secure the old draw fronts to them to shut one side of the makeshift terrain storage off. As you see in the picture on the right, one of the draw fronts has been secured, though the dowels are sticking out.

Originally, I was going to have the dowels,  a feature of the original draw, insert into the wood I had screwed on so it could be easily taken off if need be, but then I decided against it and simply screwed it on.

In this picture, you see the almost complete terrain storage filled with polystyrene and other stuff on top. That's the flat pack cot leaned against it as well in that box. Can't get to put it up yet till a leak in the roof is fixed.

That's all for this post. I assure you, there will be more interesting things to come. You'll see how the end I'll access the terrain from, will be closed off, as well as a later post will show the shelving unit I improvised from the remainder of the draws and other pieces of wood I had (including a slim bookshelf given to us by partner's mum).

Till next time.

Friday, 18 October 2013

Work Begins

 As I said in a previous post, I want to convert my old divan bed into a storage unit as well as table top table.

To do this, I had to remove the wheels from the bases. In this picture, you see me working on the black fabric that guards the bottom of the half bed base. This is to be totally removed.
I did forget to take pictures on this base, which was started first. I removed the wheels from the base, took the black fabric off, sawed the interlocking timber on the base, sanded the rough surfaces, then drilled holes in the top to re-insert the wheels.

Why? Well, when undertaking such tasks, I want to be as efficient as possible, as well as make it as easy to do as possible. I'm not a professional, so easy is best. By turning one half of the bed upside down, I can then lock both pieces together, only needing to remove the centre timbers to open up a huge space.

However, if I had left the wheels where they were, I would be fiddling around with some very stubborn material (its still on in this picture, and will remain so, as its stapled down, and those staples are resistant to my charm), and also the board of wood, as well as the centre timbers.

So much more work, as well as weakening the structure severely. You'll see it all come together though over the next few weeks, as I will make sure I take pictures and keep you all updated with posts, though I myself will not really be able to get back to you at the moment.

All comments will be replied to once internet is available in my house. So don't feel ignored. :)

Friday, 11 October 2013

Clash of the Races

 I had a bit too much polystyrene after unpacking items such as washing machine etc, so whilst breaking them up, I decided to quickly use some of those pieces to start working on a new big terrain piece.

It will feature 4 small strongholds, each for a different race, whilst holding several objectives for the miniatures to try and gain. I am quite excited for that.
Here you see the ruins of an old temple to the god of Earth. This will hold the most valuable of objectives for the forces to fight over, as well as hold some sinister creatures that will cause irritation and death amongst the already clashing armies.

I am trying to work out how I'll stack the terrain inside the base, as of course, when you have pieces such as the gate way, which will be more prone to breakage than others.
Here you see the corner for the Murex race. It's simple rockage, making most troops need to climb the terrain to get to the top, allowing the Murex to smash them back down, and hold their ground.

In the opposite corner, you can see the starting of the elven base. This will use train tracks as fences and also a platform for the archers. I want each corner to thoroughly represent the race that will use them, making it a true clash of races, where even the land seems to be fighting.

Friday, 4 October 2013

The Plan Begins

As you know, I've set up a few auto posts at the moment due to moving. I am actually moved in now, but we still don't have any internet access... or a phone... We'll sort that out though because reception is bad in that house, so our mobiles are practically useless.
Anyway, now and again, I'll visit the library to add some more auto posts whilst I don't have internet. That way you'll be able to see what's going on in the hobby front.
Here's a load of boxes containing my hobby items, as well as that green sheet covering my Goblin Lair terrain.
These bases under the blocks of polystyrene is our old bed. It's a divan bed, so I'm converting it into a gaming table as well as a storage for my terrain. Can't wait.
This here is the shelving unit that will be converted so that it can hold my models, model tools, and serve as a paint station. I'm quite excited to get all this done, but it'll need painting, as the wood will be a mismatch of colours.
Polystyrene, kindly brought across from Birmingham by my dad. Yep, that's the horde of polystyrene I dragged on a 15min walk from a loading van to my house.