Monday, 19 August 2013

Quick look into sculpting


I haven't posted recently as things have been a bit hectic really. I'm still working on hobby stuff though, which includes making my own sculpts. The most recent of these is the spider models. I decided that any warzone needs great big scuttling spiders. Spiders that can choose to ensnare, paralyse, poison, or attack you.

Why spiders though? What embodies sinister intent in the animal world more than spiders? Well, there's probably something, but most people really hate spiders. So what better than bringing such a creepy crawly along for the Goblins to use in battle. (Goblin's seem to be the most diverse army going. They have lizardmen, minotaurs, orcs, Goblins, giant bats, now Spiders, and possibly snakes at a later date if I am willing to sculpt)

So, I've already tried doing a mould for the spider parts I sculpted, and am currently putting together the original sculpt, as well as trying to make spiderlings. I won't say its been easy, but I think things will go smoother with the casts, as I'll be able to drill little holes in the parts to secure them with wire etc. Can't really do that with the original, as I used sprues as the centre to reduce the amount of green stuff I use. Don't know when I'll get to buy some again, so must always use it sparingly.

One problem I had, was that I was thinking more of an ants body when sculpting... yes... I ended up doing three body sections instead of the two that spiders have... silly mistake... and now all the casts will have that too... however, I will be able to hollow the middle body section to fit in the head, so in that respect, I really haven't done too badly, as well as securing multiple ways of getting a variety of spider positions.

Apart from that, hobby wise I've been painting up my Dwarf Archer Unit, re-thinking my squads, and thinking up scenarios.

9 comments:

  1. I have to say I am always impressed by anyone who can bash the ubiquitous green stuff into anything, well done Nathan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. But you'll have to wait to see if it really is anything to be impressed about haha

      Delete
  2. waiting to see them finished!
    bye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too, to be honest. I always enjoy the process of sculpting, gluing or painting, but I really can't wait to see the finished product.

      Delete
  3. Yup I'm envious of people who can push the putty. Keep it up mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen your freehand, and I'm the envious one, Simon lol

      Delete
    2. Very kind of you to say, its just practice is all :)

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the moulds! And yes, every evil army needs spiders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Hopefully they work well. Still not got round to casting anything yet.

      Delete